Repairman Jack (series)

quadkite

Repairman Jack (series)

Post by quadkite »

Repairman Jack
by F. Paul Wilson
http://repairmanjack.com/

I've only read a handful of books since I started reading again recently, and this series has got its hooks in me.

The main character is a sort-of urban mercenary living in NYC who takes on random tasks for a living whilst living completely under the radar (no official identity, social security number, etc.). What kind of clientele are in the market for Repairman Jack's services? Well, a good example is someone being blackmailed, they might be a decent person but they still can't afford to go to the police. So they hire Jack for his trustworthiness, discretion and uncanny ability to "fix" the situation. The situations Jack finds himself in often occupy the sci-fi/horror genre, but everything is well grounded in reality (I know this is kind-of a big deal to me to get into a book).

The characters are all pretty well rounded and style of writing is very engaging, albeit an "easy" read. Around the 3rd book in the series a crazy ongoing storyline starts to unfold relating to another series of books by the same author (the Adversary series).

A quick series guide since the one on the website can be confusing.

The Repairman Jack series:
The Tomb
Legacies
Conspiracies (out of print)
All The Rage
Hosts
The Haunted Air
Gateways
Crisscross
Infernal
Harbingers
Bloodline
By the Sword
*still ongoing but eventually ending with a re-written Nightworld*

The Adversary Cycle series:
The Keep
The Tomb (yes its the same book as the one in the RJ series)
The Touch (out of print)
Reborn (out of print)
Reprisal (out of print)
Nightworld (out of print)

Suggested order of reading:
Start with the Repairman Jack Series and begin the Adversary cycle anytime after the 3rd book in the RJ series. I would hold off on reading Nightworld until after the author finishes with the entire RJ series, since the book will eventually be re-written to close out both series.