the name of the wind

Karrde

the name of the wind

Post by Karrde »

New book of a trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss. Sets up the main character "Kvothe" as some ultrabadass who's fallen on hard times, but the bulk of the story is him in flashbacks starting as a child. The first book reads somewhat like a more adult version of harry potter. Pretty good book overall, and I thought the writing style flowed fairly smoothly. Should be a good series.
Jaade

Re: the name of the wind

Post by Jaade »

I really enjoyed the book. I think he could go alot farther than a "trilogy" with it if he wanted to.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I definitely enjoyed reading this, although I must say the enhancement of Kvothe's ineptitude toward women really boggled me sometimes. While on the one hand it is constantly pointed out that "he feels how every fifteen year old boy feels", his actual behavior directly contradicts that concept; the opportunities for him to act on those tendencies are quite ample, yet he never does anything. Past that, the whole thing with Ambrose sort of smacks of Harry Potter, which really wrinkled my nose. Still, it was fun to read and I look forward to the rest of the series.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Rensy

Post by Rensy »

i love to feel little boys
Azurai

Post by Azurai »

Just read the novel during power outage, must say it's really good. It's technical and precise, but the verbiage is familiar and flows well. I can say that as good as this book was, I can't wait until the next two where he becomes the consummate badass and starts jackin' foo's.
--Azurai

Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Finished book two yesterday, was a lot better than the first, if a bit long winded throughout the tangential plotlines. How long will it take for the third, I wonder? GRRM anyone?
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day