Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Serwyn

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Post by Serwyn »

Great book read it!
Lazloth

Re: Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

Post by Lazloth »

This was really good. Excellently written, excellently told. I got more than adequately wrapped up in the characters' feelings and it made the reading that much better. Kay did himself proud, which I guess shows in the Aurora the book won. Has anyone read any of his other work? I'm curious about the Summer Tree etc. trilogy.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Karrde

Post by Karrde »

I just recently read his fionavar tapestry series. It has pretty good reviews but frankly I didn't care too much for it. The characterizations didnt seem as strong as in his other books, and I thought the plot was somewhat weak. His later works are much better. (Fionavar tapestry were his first books, although he helped edit the silmarillion prior to that as he was a family friend of christopher tolkien).

I read A Song for Arbonne a few weeks ago - I highly recommend it. It's been about 10 years since I last read Tigana so its hard for me to compare it, but I liked it enough that I plan on reading several of his newer novels.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I read the Fionvar books a few months ago too and I had a similar reaction. They weren't bad necessarily, just not great, and nowhere near the quality of Tigana. I ordered Ysabel and Lions of Al-Rassan the other day though, both of which have won and/or been nominated for a number of awards so I'm hoping they'll be good.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day