Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

Webin

Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

Post by Webin »

I saw the movie and figured I would give the books a try since in most cases the book is better than the movie. Anyway, it was pretty good, but also not what I expected. If you're bored and have nothing better to do I would give this series a try.
Rael

Re: Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

Post by Rael »

My sister made me read this series, and I've been passing it around to my female co-workers in the office. Definitely a chick series. I really liked it, but I liken it to chocolate and kind of a no-benefit treat. :)

Also...TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!!
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

I have not seen the movie, but had heard mixed reviews of the books so I gave them a shot, and it just so happened that my GF got the whole series for xmas.

Twilight overall was pretty good, very boring for a few hundred pages as the whole "love" aspect of the series developed, but ended up being a good read and left me wanting to move on in the series.

Anyways, I just finished the 4th book yesterday. Definitely was a worthwhile series to read in my opinion, and the books got more exciting as the series went on. All four had substantial suspense and action, while maintaining the whole romance feel to it for those with softer hearts. A lot of the major plot twists I did feel were very predictable, but that is probably just because there is a general understanding of all the myths involved with vampires.

Final thoughts: every female I have spoken to has liked the first one best, and I don't know any other males firsthand that have read the books.

PS I don't know why, but I hate the Jacob character and his relationship with bella. Probably just due to my feelings towards native americans as a whole, as the area I live in is flooded with less than admirable ones.
I feel like you raped my soul
Priz

Post by Priz »

I've been considering reading these but it seemed to be a chick series so I stayed away. I did see the movie however and enjoyed it. For those that have seen the movie and read the book, were they similar? I mean, would it be worth reading the first one after seeing the movie or could I easily move to the second one.
Rael

Post by Rael »

Even though the movie was good I'd definitely say the book is way better then the movie. There is a lot more stuff about Bella and her father, Jacob, setting up the town, the way the relationship starts etc that is worth reading.
Reedu
Deadlock

Post by Reedu »

greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

My only exposure to the series:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200812/twilight-vampires

While the article was interesting, it didn't really delve into the story that much. So, aside from a vehicle for providing teen girls with a story they can relate to, I wasn't sure what else the book had to offer.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I had a similar experience about our friendly neighborhood soccer-mom-turned-fantasy writer, it turned me off pretty strongly. The interview I read gave me the impression it was pretty cheesy drivel, which I guess was only cemented further by the fact teenage girls across the globe love it. I'm not even opposed to love story stuff, but something about these just seemed silly to me. I suppose its just hard for me to read something written by someone I don't respect.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I was prompted to watch the movie they made of this, and it was more or less what I expected. It wasn't horrible, and I even found some parts of it somewhat enjoyable merely because I enjoy the vampire genre stuff in the first place. However, the things I've heard about the author seem to ring pretty true. While I like the idea of rewriting parts of vampire lore so as to present something original, some of the stuff they/she/whatever choose just made me lol. I nearly fell off my chair at the "your skin shimmers like diamonds!" stuff. All that aside, I have to admit I'm really attracted to that actress. I never really thought all that much of her before watching the movie, but after...I dunno, there's something sexy about her.
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Champ

Post by Champ »

Lazloth wrote: All that aside, I have to admit I'm really attracted to that actress. I never really thought all that much of her before watching the movie, but after...I dunno, there's something sexy about her.
I'd bone her too dude.

But the movie was weird, I understand it should be wierd since they are vampire/human and they are supposed to be falling in love and all...but some of the things they were saying and the way they communicated were so strange and unreal.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Champ wrote: But the movie was weird, I understand it should be wierd since they are vampire/human and they are supposed to be falling in love and all...but some of the things they were saying and the way they communicated were so strange and unreal.
Every mormon never seen a rated r movie mommy's ideal teenage relationship bro. No physicality, no talking about love or sex, but all of the "forever-ness", ie: its a farce. Never seen a vampire movie? Read a book? Yeah, I'm sure. She magically has a dream one night and never having written anything before decides to spit out of a bunch of books......right....
Maybe it just irks me that she's making jillions of dollars, but I just can't believe anything that comes out of this woman's mouth. Things like:
MEYER wrote:: I can't read other people's vampires. If it's too close [to my writing], I get upset; if it's too far away, I get upset. It just makes me very neurotic
and
Meyer wrote:I've seen little pieces of Interview with a Vampire when it was on TV, but I kind of always go YUCK! I don't watch R-rated movies, so that really cuts down on a lot of the horror. And I think I've seen a couple of pieces of The Lost Boys, which my husband liked, and he wanted me to watch it once, but I was like, It's creepy!
I just want to punch her in the throat. Plus, she's fucking Mormon.
Rael

Post by Rael »

For Priz...

Spoilers for New Moon!! Gasp!

Cyniel

Post by Cyniel »

He looks like he's a terrible kisser.
Priz

Post by Priz »

Kristen Stewart is so fuckin hot
Rael

Post by Rael »

Just saw New Moon....still Team Edward. :)

And...the scene with Bella and her friends at the movie theater was filmed at the strip club 4 blocks from my house! :D