2009 Movie Preview

Cyniel

2009 Movie Preview

Post by Cyniel »

Good year for movies! ... I hope.

Gomorra
(February 13) Crime Drama
US Producer: Martin Scorsese

Based on Roberto Saviano's incendiary best seller exposing Italy's modern day criminal underworld, the film centers on the Comorra crime family's absolute control of the crime syndicate in Naples.

Friday the 13th
(February 13) Horror
Producer: Michael Bay
Notable Cast: Buncha late-teens, early 20s actors who are going to make with the dying noises.

Against the advice of police and cautions from the locals, Clay searches for his missing sister in the eerie woods of legendary Crystal Lake. Little do they know, they've entered the domain of one of the most terrifying specters in American film history--the infamous killer who haunts Crystal Lake, armed with a razor-sharp machete...Jason Voorhees.

Watchmen
(?; Scheduled: March 6) Sci-Fi Action Drama Fantasy Thriller
Director: Zach Snyder
Notable Cast: Carla Gugino, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Malin Akerman, Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Stephen McHattie

Watchmen is a story set in an alternative 1985, where the world is ticking closer to the brink of nuclear war, and a plot to eliminate a band of ex-crimefighters is instigated, but why? and by whom? It is up to two of those ex-crimefighters to investigate the plot that seems to go beyond the unthinkable.

Fast & Furious
(April 3) Action
Notable Cast: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster

When a crime brings them back to L.A., fugitive ex-con Dom Toretto (Diesel) reignites his feud with agent Brian O'Conner (Walker). But as they are forced to confront a shared enemy, Dom and Brian must give in to an uncertain new trust if they hope to outmanuever him.

Observe and Report
(April 10) Comedy
Director: Jody Hill
Notable Cast: Seth Rogen, Ray Liotta, Patton Oswalt

At the Forest Ridge Mall, head of security Ronnie Barnhardt (Seth Rogen) patrols his jurisdiction with an iron fist, combating skateboarders, shoplifters and the occasional unruly customer while dreaming of the day when he can swap his flashlight for a badge and a gun. His delusions of grandeur are put to the test when the mall is struck by a flasher...

Crank 2: High Voltage
(April 17) Action
Notable Cast: Jason Statham, Amy Smart

Chelios faces a Chinese mobster who has stolen his nearly indestructible heart and replaced it with a battery-powered ticker that requires regular jolts of electricity to keep working.

Star Trek
(May 8 ) Sci-Fi Action Adventure Drama
Director: J.J. Abrams
Notable Cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Eric Bana, Simon Pegg, Winona Ryder, Karl Urban, John Cho, Leonard Nimoy

A new vision of the greatest space adventure of all time, STAR TREK, featuring a young, new crew venturing boldly where no man has gone before.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
(May 22) Sci-Fi Action Fantasy Thriller
Director: Gavin Hood
Notable Cast: Hugh Jackman, Ryan Reynolds, Liev Schreiber, Dominic Monaghan, Taylor Kitsch

X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE tells the story of Wolverine’s epically violent and romantic past, his complex relationship with Victor Creed, and the ominous Weapon X program. Along the way, Wolverine encounters many mutants, both familiar and new, including surprise appearances by several legends of the X-Men universe whose appearances in the film series have long been anticipated.

Terminator: Salvation
(May 22) Sci-Fi Action-Adventure Thriller
Director: McG
Notable Cast: Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin, Sam Worthington, Bryce Dallas Howard, Moon Bloodgood, Helena Bonham Carter

John Connor is the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators. But the future that Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright, a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
(June 26) Sci-Fi Action-Adventure
Director: Michael Bay
Notable Cast: Peter Cullen, Megan Fox, Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, Rainn Wilson, John Turturro

Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) again joins with the Autobots against their sworn enemies, the Decepticons.

Public Enemies
(July 1) Crime Drama
Director: Michael Mann
Notable Cast: Christian Bale, Johnny Depp

No one could stop John Dillinger (Johnny Depp). No jail could hold him. His charm and audacious jailbreaks endeared him to almost everyone. But while the adventures of Dillinger's gang thrilled many, J. Edgar Hoover (Billy Crudup) hit on the idea of exploiting the outlaw's capture as a way to elevate his Bureau of Investigation into the national police force that became the FBI. He made Dillinger America's first Public Enemy Number One and sent in Melvin Purvis (Christian Bale) to track him down.

The Taking of Pelham 123
(July 24) Thriller
Director: Tony Scott
Notable Cast: Denzel Washington, John Travolta

Denzel Washington stars as New York City subway dispatcher Walter Garber, whose ordinary day is thrown into chaos by an audacious crime: the hijacking of a subway train by a criminal mastermind (John Travolta)...

Up
(July 31) Animated Action-Adventure Family
Disney/Pixar

Carl Fredricksen spent his entire life dreaming of exploring the globe and experiencing life to its fullest. But at age 78, life seems to have passed him by, until a twist of fate (and a persistent 8-year old Junior Wilderness Explorer named Russell) gives him a new lease on life. UP takes audiences on a thrilling journey where the unlikely pair encounter wild terrain, unexpected villains and jungle creatures.

Inglourious Basterds
(August 14) War Action-Adventure Drama
Director: Quentin Tarantino
Notable Cast: Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger, Mélanie Laurent, Eli Roth, Samm Levine, B.J. Novak, Samuel L. Jackson, Mike Myers, Michael Fassbender

Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as “The Basterds,” Raine’s squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich.

(September 9th, 2009 [LOL 9-9-09]) Animated Sci-Fi Adventure War Fantasy
Director: Shane Acker
Notable Cast (All voicing): Jennifer Connelly, Elijah Wood, Crispin Glover, John C. Reilly

9 takes place in a world parallel to our own, in which the very legacy of humanity is threatened. A group of sapient rag dolls, living a post-apocalyptic existence find one of their own, 9 (Elijah Wood), who displays leadership qualities that may help them to survive.

The Wolf Man
(November 6) Horror Thriller
Director: Joe Johnston
Notable Cast: Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt, Hugo Weaving

The Wolfman brings the myth of a cursed man back to its iconic origins. Oscar winner Benicio Del Toro stars as Lawrence Talbot, a haunted nobleman lured back to his family estate after his brother vanishes. Reunited with his estranged father (Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins), Talbot sets out to find his brother...and discovers a horrifying destiny for himself.

Sherlock Holmes
(November 20) Action-Adventure Crime-Drama Mystery-Thriller
Director: Guy Ritchie
Notable Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Rachel McAdams, Jude Law, Mark Strong

In a dynamic new portrayal of Conan Doyle’s famous characters, “Sherlock Holmes” sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country.

The Expendables
(Winter 2009) Action
Director: Sylvester Stallone
Notable Cast: Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li

A team of mercenaries head to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator.
Lazloth

Re: 2009 Movie Preview

Post by Lazloth »

Terminator: Salvation -Hadn't heard about this, after watching the current tv series im hoping this might be interesting.
Public Enemies- Huzzah for more Christian Bale.

A few of the others seemed interesting too:

The Taking of Pelham 123 - I actually liked Travolta as a "bad guy" in Swordfish, so I'm curious about this, although I'll have to wait until I can interweb steal it because HES A FUCKING SCIENTOLOGIST TOO ARG.

Inglourious Basterds - Sup@QT, even though the last one blew I'm still down for the cause. We'll see if he lets me down again.

The Wolf Man - Normally I'd turn away just for the name alone, but its hard to put your back to Benicio or Hopkins by themselves, let alone together.

Sherlock Holmes - Good cast, good director, yes I'm a nerd and I like mysteries. Thanks to Kold I found an affinity for Robert Downey Jr. I never knew I had. (That means kiss kiss bang bang was awesome, go fucking watch it)
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Rael

Post by Rael »

Watchmen should be amazing. As long as Fox doesn't fuck it up since they own the rights to the movie now and didn't pay a dime to make it.

Others I am excited about include 9 and Sherlock Holmes. Should be a good year!
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

Cyniel wrote: Gomorra
(February 13) Crime Drama
US Producer: Martin Scorsese

Based on Roberto Saviano's incendiary best seller exposing Italy's modern day criminal underworld, the film centers on the Comorra crime family's absolute control of the crime syndicate in Naples.
Great fucking movie. A much more modern take on an over-done genre. I like the fact that it's more of a crime move than a *mob* movie per se. You can find english-subbed dvdrips floating around.
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Rael wrote:Watchmen should be amazing.
This.
quadkite

Post by quadkite »

Didn't Vin Diesel's character die at the end of the original Fast & Furious?

Not that you can kill Vin Diesel or anything...
Intricacy

Post by Intricacy »

quadkite wrote:Didn't Vin Diesel's character die at the end of the original Fast & Furious?

pretty sure paul walker gave him his car and allowed him to escape
Azurai

Post by Azurai »

Regrettably, as the new star trek is number 11 in the series, or even first in a new sub-series it will unfortunately be terrible as it is a universal truth that all odd numbered trek movies are awful.
--Azurai

Hits911

Post by Hits911 »

quadkite wrote:Didn't Vin Diesel's character die at the end of the original Fast & Furious?

He had a cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift also.
Hitz
Hits911

Post by Hits911 »

Azurai wrote:Regrettably, as the new star trek is number 11 in the series, or even first in a new sub-series it will unfortunately be terrible as it is a universal truth that all odd numbered trek movies are awful.
Sylar is playing Spock!
Hitz