LOST

Intricacy

Re: LOST

Post by Intricacy »

i have no idea how they're going to explain everything with only 3.5 hours of lost left to air. (next week and 2.5hr series finale)
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

^ I'll certainly admit that the latter part of this season has felt.....squeezed. I guess I didn't really realize how close to the end it was, and unfortunately I can't see it all being squared away in the fashion I'd like, considering the time left. It also seems like the whole alternate reality thing is going to either be totally unexplained or essentially purposeless, and either way that will irk me for sure.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Priz

Post by Priz »

Hated this episode.
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

Lazloth wrote:essentially purposeless
perfect description
Heed
Big Dick Georgian

Post by Heed »

so fucking disappointing, they better make a fucking movie
Priz

Post by Priz »

The more I think about it, the more I love the ending. Very deep.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. BAAAAAAAAAAAAD. I'm not really sure how I could possibly be disappointed more. As if the total lack of promised explanations isn't bad enough, the little they did give is gody religilous hokum? Major let down series ruining shit right there.
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

Spoilers dick :(
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Once you watch it, you'll see it doesn't matter :(
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

*SPOILERS SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYES*

Yeah I watched it last night, what a complete disappointment. Around season 4/5 I realized it was getting ridiculous (specifically Sawyer / Juliet / Milo time travelling randomly back to the 60s(?)). I had really hoped season 6 would bring back the intensity of the earlier seasons but it was just convoluted bullshit to be totally honest. As you said, the parallel non-plane-crashy-world was basically just filling time in each episode, and the culmination of that was what...? An "our other universe selves were on an island lets be pals" convention? The thinly veiled religious undertones were a kick in the junk on top of the time wasted paying attention to seasons 3 through 6 imo :(
Priz

Post by Priz »

It was a great episode, probably top 10-15. If you hated this episode, you are probably one of the faggots that still want to know where the Dharma food drop came from and who Henry Gale really was. The flash-sideways was purgatory, where time is meaningless. The island and all the events happened. Christian said it to Jack, the time spent with these people was the most important time of their lives. Whatever happened, happened. It gave a glimpse into the future, Sawyer/Kate etc left and lived their life off island. Hurley and Ben became the Jacob and Richard of the island, for who knows how long.. 100s of years maybe.

The show has always been about the characters with a splash of island mythology. The writers chose to go a certain way which was to show the culmination of Jack's journey and letting go. It's always been about Jack. You can disagree but it's pretty much accepted that anyone that hated this episode has not liked this show for a long time now and has been waiting for a reason to vent. Yes the show peaked in season 3, but everything changes. Seeing Vincent lie down next to a dying Jack was tear-jerking, as were many of the reunion and flashes that the characters had in the finale.

It was a great way to go out.
Priz

Post by Priz »

Call me a LOST apologist for the finale if you want, but I absolutely hated most of this season and saw it as a general disappointment. The finale however gave us a lot of closure and left open the discussions for the rest of our lives. Twenty years from now people will still be talking about LOST and people will be rewatching it over and over. There will be more books, more stories, more spinoffs. There are questions that remained unanswered but imo, that's for the good of the show. Many of the questions that people have left like "OMG Y DUZ DA STATUE HAV 4 TOEZ" were never meant to be questions. When you can honestly tell someone about 7-10 television characters, their backgrounds, family, history etc, you know something was done right. Let it be and enjoy a great show that had the best character development of any show in the history of television.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

I wouldn't say I hated it, I just wish they'd gone a different direction and explained things a bit more clearly. I agree that the show, from the start, was about Jack. I appreciated the symmetry of the very first and last scenes being Jack opening/closing his eyes and the thing with Vincent was cool. I still feel let down though. As the viewer, I want to know more than the characters in the end. I want to understand why things happened, not just understand their effects via the reactions of the characters.

They promised full closure and yet, as you said, there are a few instances where things went entirely unexplained. I wouldn't say that detracted from the overall experience very much, but loose ends are loose ends.

I definitely feel the show peaked in the middle but I really tried to enjoy it throughout the last few seasons. I even re-watched the whole series in preparation of this final season but in the end I just feel like it wasn't a good enough conclusion. I won't shit on anyone who enjoyed it, it definitely had a few memorable moments, but I just can't say I'm entirely satisfied either.

I just don't feel like this show can compare to something like Battlestar (which is similarly epic imo, and the first few seasons of Lost had the same sort of intensity that I think BSG maintained throughout), which I think is probably the benchmark show I'll compare every other series to forever. Most shows don't measure up, but the first few seasons of Lost came close and so I guess I was hoping for a revival of that intensity.

I agree that some things are meant to be mysteries looming over us/the survivors indefinitely and I don't really take issue with that, there were some things that seemed silly to me though (lol just gonna toss the smoke monster off a cliff and nows hes dead :< ). As for character development, I think they did a great job with Jack but most of the rest were only 'pretty good.' Again, I compare the character development of BSG to Lost and the former is just leaps and bounds ahead in terms of quality imo. Again, I don't want to shit on you for liking the finale or anything but I just felt let down when I realized what was going to happen in the end.

sup 9 paragraph post -_-
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

wtf.

moving on. letting go.

seriously?

i never got into lost message boards, or the mythology much. just watched the series, and liked it for whatever i got out of it, and had fun speculating. and i actually liked season 6. it seemed like it was getting cramped towards the end, but i even liked it up until the last half of the last episode. and then it was like the end of lord of the rings. just fuck each other in the ass and get it over with. jesus.

it's simple: americans like happy endings. the guy always gets the girl. etc. but life isn't like that, and if the series is supposed to be about the characters, where's the bitterness or tragedy, to temper the sweetness? where's the sorrow, the sacrifice, the pathos? (a dog lying down next to you as you die ain't pathos, btw.) for one sweet second, when jack was teleported back outside of the cave, just like the man in black was, i thought, holy shit, jack will become the new smoke monster. nice. but no. EVERYONE got to be with their lover. shoot me in the face, please. religious overtones whatever. shit, i'm religious and i still feel like puking. if i die, and am surrounded by everyone i ever cared about, sitting around in a church hugging and crying, i will punch jc in the nuts. (and he will turn the other testicle).

sigh.
maelfus

Post by maelfus »

And that's why I don't watch TV.