National Novel Writing Month

What? You say there's life outside of WoW?
Rael

National Novel Writing Month

Post by Rael »

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I've signed up to do this and was wondering if anyone else would like to join me. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. You don't win anything, except the accomplishment of actually producing a novel, which is something I've always wanted to try. If people are interested it would be cool to set up a novel support group so we can kick each other's asses to finish!
Fabalous
DOTA Feeder

Re: National Novel Writing Month

Post by Fabalous »

I vote we put Steve, aka Serwyn, on this project!
Dezzi

Post by Dezzi »

As much as fun as this could be...

Right now my eyes are bleeding from working AutoCAD everyday for the past three weeks, and there's one week left to go before I can turn in this horrible, evil, God-forsaken project.

But if you want someone to bounce ideas off of... shoot em my way. I'm an engineering major with no formal literature training, but I love reading. I read 15-30 pages of something or other before I go to bed every night.

If you're looking for inspiration, my favorite authors are Bill Bryson and Tolkien.

With Bryson, you should definitely read A Walk in the Woods, and I'm a Stranger Here Myself. These are his best books IMO, and he is an incredible author. His true masterwork, though, is A Short History of Nearly Everything, although it is not nearly as funny as the aforementioned novels.

With Tolkien, you of course must read LOTR; however, it's a long book, and while his use of English is nothing short of epic, you would probably want to skip to the good parts to get your inspiration rolling. Try the chapters "The Voice of Saruman" and "The Window on the West" first. The diction used by Gandalf, Saruman, and Faramir is simply wonderful in these chapters.

Anyways, good luck with your project. Please tell me you're actually making this story fun, and not some horrid chick-flick-on-crack Jane Austen novel.
"Teaching aggro control, one kitty-hump at a time."
Rensy

Post by Rensy »

I unfortunately didn't/don't have time to do this in 2008 (hoping I can in '09), but I have been working on a novel myself since 2006.

It's about.... hmmm... my notes:
"I intend the book to be about a man who some might call crazy, and his journey of self discovery- albeit a depressing one."
The format of the story is such that in each two chapters he first meets someone new or experiences something who/that represents a certain aspect of the larger society, which he then discusses with his psychiatrist in the second chapter. I'm trying to combine gritty realism with the surreal and fantastic. For example, our anti-hero meets characters such as "Anger", a fiery vision he has when he answers his door one day.

The imagery is pretty intense at times. A major theme throughout the book is a person's fear of the known. I was once told that people fear the unknown, that people fear death because it is this great mystery, but I've never really bought that. When it comes to hatred and fear its not what we don't know, but what we know all too well-- maybe even what we see in ourselves.

That said, this shit's taking a fuckin time to write. In the end I couldn't care less if anyone likes it or if anyone thinks it is remotely interesting. It's a personal expression.
Dezzi

Post by Dezzi »

Rensy wrote:The format of the story is such that in each two chapters he first meets someone new or experiences something who/that represents a certain aspect of the larger society, which he then discusses with his psychiatrist in the second chapter.
Hmm... so kinda like a frame tale?

If you're exploring the human psyche, I would recommend at least taking a look at the study of Emotional Intelligence. The link I provided is an excellent book I read a few years ago. While part of the book focuses on the nitty-gritty physiological aspect of emotions (there's a whole section about the amygdala and the hippocampus - aka boring shit), there's also a lot of great anecdotes about people who have been cut off from their emotions through accidents, etc.

One of the conclusions the author found was that people without emotions (or with poor control over their emotions) have a hard time prioritizing their lives. They are still completely capable of performing complex tasks (they still retain their intelligence), but they have no motivation to do them.

Anyways I found it interesting...
"Teaching aggro control, one kitty-hump at a time."
Tyraff

Post by Tyraff »

Dezzi wrote:Right now my eyes are bleeding from working AutoCAD everyday for the past three weeks, and there's one week left to go before I can turn in this horrible, evil, God-forsaken project.
AutoCAD is fun! Here's 3.5 years of work on a project (concept to construction completion).
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Dezzi wrote:
Rensy wrote:The format of the story is such that in each two chapters he first meets someone new or experiences something who/that represents a certain aspect of the larger society, which he then discusses with his psychiatrist in the second chapter.
Hmm... so kinda like a frame tale?

If you're exploring the human psyche, I would recommend at least taking a look at the study of Emotional Intelligence. The link I provided is an excellent book I read a few years ago. While part of the book focuses on the nitty-gritty physiological aspect of emotions (there's a whole section about the amygdala and the hippocampus - aka boring shit), there's also a lot of great anecdotes about people who have been cut off from their emotions through accidents, etc.

One of the conclusions the author found was that people without emotions (or with poor control over their emotions) have a hard time prioritizing their lives. They are still completely capable of performing complex tasks (they still retain their intelligence), but they have no motivation to do them.

Anyways I found it interesting...
Any chance you are dezzi from Warsong from Vanilla-WoW?
Metzer
VM Warlock

Post by Metzer »

Rensy, if you want someone to take a look a your novel in progress, I'd be more than happy read it. I'm currently in the same process as you. I'm fairly skilled at offering feedback and useful critiques in terms of character conflicts, message you want to get across, logos, pathos, the structure and flow of the story, etc.

Also, for creating a story about yourself, it's a good idea to find a model, so you have some idea of structure. For instance, I read the book "The Game..." by Neil Strauss. It's a story about himself, change, and self realization (and sex).
However, Neil Strauss also writes for Rolling Stones magazine and has published 4 other books. So I keep in mind what "The Game" may have read like if someone with no writing skills wrote it.

With that in mind, I'm finding it difficult to write about myself because I don't know how the story ends. This is why I find in important to find a book to model your own off of. What details were left out, what time span does the book cover, and how does it end?

A good writer borrows from other writers. The best writers steal.

Rael: Did you write/submit anything?
Sometimes, you just have to be fucking awesome.
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

to all of the autocad users, go try archicad.

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=546315

changed my drafting life. that rendering is taken directly from my floor plan. with the simple push of a button i can generate a 3D model, then with another push a rendering.