The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Talisen

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Post by Talisen »

I was browsing around Barnes & Noble after my last disappointing R.A. Salvatore book when I caught sight of what appeared to be a teenage angst filled ninja fantasy series:

Image Image Image

I passed it over without a second thought and went to meet my friends across the mall for dinner (nasty expensive place with horribly seasoned salmon). On my way out I had this itch to get Salvatore's latest piece out of my brain, so I ran back into B&A to buy this stupid looking lolimmapwnu deal. The very second I tore my eyes from the ending of that first book I had to go buy the other two! I swear I've never been into a book so much that I read through it in one night.. I don't think I've ever actually burst out laughing while reading a book and was unable to continue for a good ten minutes.

The Way of Shadows, Shadow's Edge, and Beyond the Shadow's have got to be my most favorite rogue/assassin books of all time. This is -exactly- what I wish Drizzt had been. Fuck your consciousness, you got a job to do! I got sick of Drizzt's emotional turmoil every other time he had to make a fucking decision about his life. It reminded me too much of myself to be of any use.

Drizzt: "I beautifully dance the dance of blades with emotions strung with weaves of silver and grace! But, Hark! Have I slain thee for thy own desireful sins?!"

Kylar: "I stab your face with your friends arm I just sliced off because I was paid to, stfu. Do I feel bad? Yeah.. kinda.. nope."
maelfus

Re: The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Post by maelfus »

I also passed said books over with little more than a glance.. I might have to go back and take a look.
Talisen

Post by Talisen »

I've had a chain reaction of having to let people borrow the first one, and subsequently the second and third. The first guy was like me and put off by the cover.. but when I let him borrow it he wanted the others so bad that another person wanted to borrow the first, then another, then another, etc:P
maelfus

Post by maelfus »

I just finished the first book (yay e-books) and I'm definitely looking forward to the next two. Brent Weeks takes a very different approach to fantasy than I've ever read.

Most authors spend a lot of time focusing on the splendor and greatness of a magic filled world. Weeks seems to write a lot closer to reality. The world of The Night Angel is brutal, course, graphic and best of all real (aside from the magic of course).

I would highly recommend this to pretty much anyone.