Obama Youth

What? You say there's life outside of WoW?
Vrede

Obama Youth

Post by Vrede »

So, if the speech hadn't been banned from a "noticeable number" of schools. Then, changed to not contain a curriculum or anything except the speech. Who thinks it would have been one baby step to an American version of Hitler Youth?

EDIT: Spelling Correction.
Xizorz

Re: Obama Youth

Post by Xizorz »

I wouldn't make any reference to the 'Hitler' youth (Godwin's law, I think?)

That said, Obama's a much better campaigner than he is a President. There's a reason that he's assembled what is essentially a droid army of under 30 Obamabots as his supporters.

I have no idea whether this particular event goes to further that cause. In its current form, it probably doesn't. There are plenty of people telling kids to stay in school as is; the President doesn't really need to do it.

That said, there's a reason the initial version of the speech was canned. John Kennedy asked Americans to ask how they could serve their country. Barack Obama asks kids to ask how they can help the President.
Biffins

Post by Biffins »

Xizorz wrote:John Kennedy asked Americans to ask how they could serve their country. Barack Obama asks kids to ask how they can help the President.
Selective memory!

George HW Bush & Ronald Reagan also asked, word for word, the exact same thing when they spoke to school kids (how they could help the president). Phony controversy imo.
Xizorz

Post by Xizorz »

Biffins wrote:
Xizorz wrote:John Kennedy asked Americans to ask how they could serve their country. Barack Obama asks kids to ask how they can help the President.
Selective memory!

George HW Bush & Ronald Reagan also asked, word for word, the exact same thing when they spoke to school kids (how they could help the president). Phony controversy imo.
Well, for one, I don't remember those.

Two,

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opini ... 94347.html

The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. "The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props," the Post reported.
With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. "The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students," said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. "And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"
Democrats did not stop with words. Rep. William Ford, then chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate the cost and legality of Bush's appearance. On October 17, 1991, Ford summoned then-Education Secretary Lamar Alexander and other top Bush administration officials to testify at a hearing devoted to the speech. "The hearing this morning is to really examine the expenditure of $26,750 of the Department of Education funds to produce and televise an appearance by President Bush at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, DC," Ford began. "As the chairman of the committee charged with the authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event."
Unfortunately for Ford, the General Accounting Office concluded that the Bush administration had not acted improperly. "The speech itself and the use of the department's funds to support it, including the cost of the production contract, appear to be legal," the GAO wrote in a letter to Chairman Ford. "The speech also does not appear to have violated the restrictions on the use of appropriations for publicity and propaganda."
That didn't stop Democratic allies from taking their own shots at Bush. The National Education Association denounced the speech, saying it "cannot endorse a president who spends $26,000 of taxpayers' money on a staged media event at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, D.C. -- while cutting school lunch funds for our neediest youngsters."

Selective memory indeed.

Three, Bush 41 was a pretty lousy politician who couldn't assemble a youth movement even if one was given to him.
Cyniel

Post by Cyniel »

Xizorz

Post by Xizorz »

Those comments are full of very angry people.
Aurun

Post by Aurun »

Anyone should be angry if they are blatantly lied to their face.
Biffins

Post by Biffins »

The point is that this scenario isn't like some ground-breaking event. What are the 2nd graders going to do, donate their lunch money to his next campaign? Seriously, its so overblown (on both sides in both cases).

Phony controversy.
Hits911

Post by Hits911 »

Hitz
Xizorz

Post by Xizorz »

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/24 ... 5819.shtml

Elementary School Students Taught Pro-Obama Songs

video showing elementary school students learning songs praising Barack Obama for his "great accomplishments" and efforts to "make this country's economy No. 1 again" is generating anger from conservatives today.

In the video at left, students at New Jersey's B. Bernice Young Elementary School are shown singing about the president, in one case to the tune of "Jesus Loves the Little Children," according to Fox News.

The video was posted at the conservative Drudge Report and reported by Fox, prompting hundreds of comments from readers such as this one: "These thugs need to be shut down! This is absurde [sic] that this is happening today in our schools. People need to rise up and crush this socializing and indoctrination of our kids."
I Love Vis Maior

Post by I Love Vis Maior »

You may find the Republican party to be out of control, but they are simply giving the Democratic party a taste of their own medicine. Throughout history the Democrats acted like jackasses and would scream and whine at Republican rallies and decisions, so quite frankly I think the Republicans have every right to do the same to the Democrats. Anyways, who the hell makes a song up about their president?
Xizorz

Post by Xizorz »

This is apparently now being sold on Ebay. Fly it proudly.

http://supportyourlocalgunfighter.com/w ... n-Flag.jpg
Iniliara

Post by Iniliara »

I Love Vis Maior wrote:You may find the Republican party to be out of control, but they are simply giving the Democratic party a taste of their own medicine. Throughout history the Democrats acted like jackasses and would scream and whine at Republican rallies and decisions, so quite frankly I think the Republicans have every right to do the same to the Democrats. Anyways, who the hell makes a song up about their president?
So its perfectly alright for the Republicans to complain incessantly about the behaviour of the democrats and the left whilst they run the show, and then the moment they lose power turn around and do the exact same thing? Smells like hypocrisy to me.....
Biffins

Post by Biffins »

Xiz, check this out, found it on digg

http://kelsocartography.com/blog/wp-con ... reagan.jpg
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

Palestinian Homeland (Proposed)

rofl