Converge

greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Converge

Post by greekrefugee »

During a random music convo with Aus (a long time ago, lol), he said he'd never gotten into Converge. This bank fucking owns. Their 2001 album Jane Doe pretty much laid a lot of the groundwork for what would become metalcore. It was a raw sound, compared to many bands that they influenced, but it is a good thing. I mean raw in the sense of not tweaked and manipulated to perfection with pro tools. It is also a little on the experimental side, so be prepared for facemelting :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Doe_(album)

Heaven In Her Arms. Looking at the lyrics, you'd think it would be an emo song. There was a music thread earlier where some people were like, wtf is heavy music, I don't get it. The screaming isn't about anger (well, sometimes it is, rofl), but emotional intensity.

Death was just a simple glance across a dim lit room
And those eyes did it
Those three words did it
Those three words killed him
And I surrender to it all
Between you and me, I surrender to you
Forgive me for the sadness
And the bringing of you down
I just needed a lover and I needed a friend
And there you were
Running from forever like all the rest
Three simple words bled me dry
Three simple word bled us dry, bled us dry
I love you

Brutal is all good, but I always love melody. The next track, Phoenix in Flight, is awesome. Much slower/softer than the other tracks, so it is by no means representative, but you can hear a lot of what would influence the post-rock scene.

The flow of the album as it transitions between those two songs is awesome. Their other stuff is definitely worth checking out.
DramaFTW

Re: Converge

Post by DramaFTW »

I love converge and bannon is a cool guy, I've been listening to them since that Cd first came out and I love the album that came out prior to Jane Doe, Give it a listen if you have not.

Petitioning the empty sky

That album is almost symphonic in the way it flows.