Pope, in Africa, Says Condoms Aren't the Way to Fight H.I.V.

What? You say there's life outside of WoW?
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Pope, in Africa, Says Condoms Aren't the Way to Fight H.I.V.

Post by Aus »

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... oms&st=cse

I assume most of the people who care about shit like this have already seen the article, but I thought it might be worth discussing. When I first read about this, I was pretty fucking upset to be honest. The fact that someone with such a massive influence is getting in front of millions of undereducated and poor "followers" and telling them not to use condoms because it "perpetuates the AIDS epidemic" is so beyond rational science that it's almost mind-boggling. Thankfully, most reputable medical organizations immediately came out against the statement so hopefully it won't have a huge impact, but I'm sure it'll cause quite a few more pregnancies and deaths from AIDS.
Tluas
Number One Asshole

Re: Pope, in Africa, Says Condoms Aren't the Way to Fight H.I.V.

Post by Tluas »

The pope said a responsible and moral attitude toward sex would help fight the disease.
What?
"You're not a man 'til you've pulled a tooth out with a pair of pliers."
-Captain Phil Harris of the Cornelia Marie
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Frankly I'm surprised and appalled by the this, especially considering the righteous and unblemished track record of the papacy.

Oh wait...
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Xyrm

Post by Xyrm »

Following this statement, I claim by similar logic that wearing a seatbelt is dangerous because it promotes unsafe driving.
Short summary of every Jewish holiday: they tried to kill us, we survived, let's eat!
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

see even people that arent allowed to have sex believe it feels better without a condom.
Urduro

Post by Urduro »

Xyrm wrote:Following this statement, I claim by similar logic that wearing a seatbelt is dangerous because it promotes unsafe driving.
Nice :lol:
Azurai

Post by Azurai »

Africans can't afford condoms so it's a moot point.
--Azurai

Fabalous
DOTA Feeder

Post by Fabalous »

Aus wrote:http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... oms&st=cse

I assume most of the people who care about shit like this have already seen the article, but I thought it might be worth discussing. When I first read about this, I was pretty fucking upset to be honest. The fact that someone with such a massive influence is getting in front of millions of undereducated and poor "followers" and telling them not to use condoms because it "perpetuates the AIDS epidemic" is so beyond rational science that it's almost mind-boggling. Thankfully, most reputable medical organizations immediately came out against the statement so hopefully it won't have a huge impact, but I'm sure it'll cause quite a few more pregnancies and deaths from AIDS.
To play the role of Devil's advocate: Assuming what I think the basis of his logic is right, it does hold water. Wearing a condom isn't anywhere near a foolproof way to avoid STIs though it helps. If you consider Utopian like conditions based on Catholic morals(lol) it can make sense: where everyone got their STI tests, didn't have sex unprotected sex unless married, ect.

I don't think it would be disagreeable to say that under these conditions the epidemic would die off or at the least be more under control. Where as if you have 'immoral' individuals sleeping around or raping people even if they use a condom they can still spread the disease. The condom in this case would kind of be an enabler.

But let's face it, like Azuri said, most cant afford condoms much less tests to determine if they are infected and the number of free test facilities is limited. Also consider that in a underdeveloped country like Africa many factors probably contribute to the AIDs epidemic and its roots are much deeper than immorality or the lack of use of condoms.

I won't say the Pope was wrong in his logic, but I don't think blasting a tool used to help control the epidemic considering the reality of the situation was smart at all.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

Really, though, the point is that people are always going to have sex, no matter what the Catholic church says about it. That being the case, discouraging the use of condoms only serves to propagate the AIDS issue.
Fabalous
DOTA Feeder

Post by Fabalous »

Aus wrote:Really, though, the point is that people are always going to have sex, no matter what the Catholic church says about it. That being the case, discouraging the use of condoms only serves to propagate the AIDS issue.
Yup, that's the reality of it, his logic is alright though. IMO fuck Africa, we have our own shitbag full of problems on American soil that need to be addressed. I wouldn't mind it if we took all the resources we dump into that place and put them to use back here.
Iniliara

Post by Iniliara »

Fabalous wrote:IMO fuck Africa, we have our own shitbag full of problems on American soil that need to be addressed. I wouldn't mind it if we took all the resources we dump into that place and put them to use back here.
In fairness, current circumstances leave the $17-18 billion of US government foreign aid looking like chicken feed compared to the multiple trillions that your government's currently forking out to any corporation that's willing to put its hand out for a few billion. It's a sad state of affairs when the US government's given two dead-weight car companies more aid in the last six months than it has the entire rest of the world.

Of course, that's not to say that the aid to Africa's been achieving damned much. Helping keep kids alive today to fight in the next round of civil wars or die in a decade's time to AIDS doesn't sound like a particularly good investment to me.
Fabalous
DOTA Feeder

Post by Fabalous »

Iniliara wrote:
Fabalous wrote:IMO fuck Africa, we have our own shitbag full of problems on American soil that need to be addressed. I wouldn't mind it if we took all the resources we dump into that place and put them to use back here.
In fairness, current circumstances leave the $17-18 billion of US government foreign aid looking like chicken feed compared to the multiple trillions that your government's currently forking out to any corporation that's willing to put its hand out for a few billion. It's a sad state of affairs when the US government's given two dead-weight car companies more aid in the last six months than it has the entire rest of the world.

Of course, that's not to say that the aid to Africa's been achieving damned much. Helping keep kids alive today to fight in the next round of civil wars or die in a decade's time to AIDS doesn't sound like a particularly good investment to me.
Yop, give me that money.. I'll put it to good use :D
Iniliara

Post by Iniliara »

Fabalous wrote:Yop, give me that money.. I'll put it to good use :D
:D
Raeus and Ashra

Post by Raeus and Ashra »

Perhaps the Papacy just wants more life in the world to indoctrinate and corrupt. I doubt his underlying motives have anything to do with stopping the spread of STI/HIV, but in actuality it is promoting the behavior of having sex without condoms. It's like the crowds of fanatics applauding every word Mother Teresa said about abortion, oblivious that they are being spoon fed beliefs.

Idol worship has become a plague upon the earth ~ people need to realize they are the ones with the power and to stop handing that power over to their chosen Idols (whether it be a religious, media, corporate, or political icon). One cannot change the world, but they can change how they live, and that example may inspire others. No need to place expectations on another to change the world for you.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" Ghandi

This was an interesting documentary on Mother Teresa done by Christopher Hitchens exposing what he believed was her true nature and motives while alive in the world:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9WQ0i3nCx60&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

/shrugs at the Evil Empire

uRae
Sixthy
Greatest Shaman in the World

Post by Sixthy »

Raeus and Ashra wrote:One cannot change the world, but they can change how they live, and that example may inspire others.
I like that.
Big dicks in your ass is bad for your health