Battlestar Galactica

Azurai

Re: Battlestar Galactica

Post by Azurai »

I don't want to spoil it if you haven't been reading up on it all or haven't figured it out yet, but it fits perfectly given a crucial fact you'll discover in the first episode of season 4.
--Azurai

Ermad

Post by Ermad »

The finale of was amazing, hard to believe that this is a cable tv series and not a feature film. Though the 2nd half of it felt like LOTR: Return of the King. That the story was essentially over, but they had to give each character there last scene. Which was nice, but sort of dragged on. But I didn't like what they did with Starbuck, felt sort of like a copout to me.

They are making a prequel movie (think made for TV/DVD) called "The Plan" about the initial assualt on Caprica. It is due out in the fall, can't wait for it.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

I agree, the finale was really well done. To be honest, after last weeks episode I was a little bit concerned the finale might lack the excitement I hoped for, but the assault on the colony was pretty fucking intense. It's rare that a show ends and I'm completely satisfied, but I think this time I was!
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I was pretty pleased with the ending too. Its not so often good scifi crops up, and I don't think I've enjoyed any this much since Farscape. I was actually a little apprehensive about the way the show would end, how the assault would go etc., but they worked it out well. One of the things that's really always drawn me in [to BSG] is that the characters are gritty and real, and everyone is just a little grey. So when the "OK lets compromise and everyone will be happy" bit came up, I sighed a little........until he choked that bitch out. The fate of two entire civilizations hung in the balance, and he killed her anyways, none of the fairy tale bullshit most shows spew out near the end.
I also couldn't help but grin when Baltar and Caprica were like "wait.......you can see them???".
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

Lazloth wrote:I was pretty pleased with the ending too. Its not so often good scifi crops up, and I don't think I've enjoyed any this much since Farscape. I was actually a little apprehensive about the way the show would end, how the assault would go etc., but they worked it out well. One of the things that's really always drawn me in [to BSG] is that the characters are gritty and real, and everyone is just a little grey. So when the "OK lets compromise and everyone will be happy" bit came up, I sighed a little........until he choked that bitch out. The fate of two entire civilizations hung in the balance, and he killed her anyways, none of the fairy tale bullshit most shows spew out near the end.
I also couldn't help but grin when Baltar and Caprica were like "wait.......you can see them???".
My initial reaction to chief choking her was actually like, anger. I was pretty annoyed that he was going to throw away peace between the two civilizations because his fuckin' wife died, seemed very selfish to me which isn't how I had read the character prior to that. That said, it worked well w/ the story, but I guess I had hoped for humanity to hinge on something more than a lust for revenge. I thought the way they closed the Baltar / Six story was fantastic, though. They took 2 characters with probably the most conflicted past of any within the show and really sorted it out nicely. I also really appreciated that little bid at the end where we flashed forward to "present time" (our time) and saw that while they thought they were "breaking the cycle" by abandoning the chains of their technology and civilization, they didn't do anything but what we expected them to do afterall, it just took 150,000 years.

I watched a Sci-Fi produced special right after I watched the finale and they kept referring to it as a 4 season long movie, and when you think about it, from the very first mini series to the finale, it really was, and it was very well done throughout.
Azurai

Post by Azurai »

I thought it was very well done. I almost wish I had caught the earlier showing so I could have watched it twice. I was very impressed with how the colony attack ended, I thought they were going to puss out like Laz said, but when Cavil suicided I laughed for a minute straight. To some degree I was upset that the ending on Earth was so... focused on individuals. There wasn't any great shots of those 35 or so thousand people making camps and discovering parts of Earth 2. I was a little miffed about how Adama just flies away to basically die alone without so much as a goodbye scene between him and Saul Tigh, though.

Overall, my absolute favorite scene in the entire show was at the end when Adama does the final launch from Galactica and does the flyby with the music being the full orchestral version of the original BSG theme playing slowly in the background. It was a fitting tribute to the end of my favorite fake ship ever.
--Azurai

Xyrm

Post by Xyrm »

Holy shit this is a good series! i'm only on episode 9 in season 1 but... I *really* like it so far. Damn you Aus, for giving me yet another way to kill time!
Short summary of every Jewish holiday: they tried to kill us, we survived, let's eat!
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

Ok, so. Pretty good, all that stuff you guys said.

My problems:

1) The only reason I have natural language is apparantly because Gaius Fracking Baltar couldn't keep his dick in his pants. Cylons would have never gotten into the Colonial mainframe, whole show wouldn't have happened, we wouldn't have the missing link and would be wandering around the primodial savanna, pointing and grunting. El oh el.

2) That bit about complex systems that Baltar spouts at the end was way too corny. I know the whole show is corny, and that's fine. By why come up with some half-assed "science lesson" at the end because one of the writers took a comp sci class. I almost wanted a "The More You Know" sign to pop up over their heads, lol. I'm being picky. Whatever.

3) I haven't really thought this through yet, but the episode (season 2?) where they have the chance to wipe out the Cylons by killing the infected ones and forcing them to download, thus infecting the whole race seemed kind of screwy. I can actually buy the whole ressurection thing. Science has finally disproven mind/body dualism, all mental states can be completely reduced to neural states, which are somehow encoded, transmitted (they have walkie talkies inside of them, and yet are medically identical to humans? wtfwhatever) and incorporated into a new body waiting for them. How does a biological infection travel with that data? Not crucial, but like when Starbuck just plugged a hole in a ship with her fucking jacket and then flew into space. Stupid shit bugs me, lol. I'd rather see shit like that just not addressed than come up with some stupid "Star Trek physics" explanation.

4) Ending was kind of meh. Definitely LoTR gayness. I almost feel like it should have ended with the Lee/Starbuck scene and not the Adama one.

Bonus: Adama blowing massive chunks all over himself while sitting in a gutter. Was that scene really necessary? And then he looks up to the sky like, ENCRUSTED in his own vomit and laughs. Rofl.

Cavil suicide was fitting.

I kind of wish they kept the pseudo-philosophy to a minimum, or if they wanted it to have such a prominent role, esp towards the end, at least flesh it out some more. It made Cavil two dimensional imo. I mean, I get the whole point. The same human themes but set in space. Oh well. I definitely agree with that article in The Atlantic about the show possibly suffering from its own hubris towards the end, but it was still enjoyable. Also, the soundtrack is pretty good. The reinterpretation of All Along the Watchtower through me for a loop at first, but I think I like it now. Also, the music motif was very Chrono Cross; I dig.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

1) The only reason I have natural language is apparantly because Gaius Fracking Baltar couldn't keep his dick in his pants. Cylons would have never gotten into the Colonial mainframe, whole show wouldn't have happened, we wouldn't have the missing link and would be wandering around the primodial savanna, pointing and grunting. El oh el.
That's sort of the point though. Or rather, for us TO have a problem with it. That character really embodies the frailty of humanity, the urge for even the most intelligent of us to resort to our baser instincts -or on a global scale, to be the architects of our own destruction-.

But really.....can you fault him? In all likelihood I would *knowingly* become the catalyst for armageddon in exchange for a night with her. Or at least seriously consider it.
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

Yeah, but I can give in to my baser urges (as I often do) without being a complete fucking pussy. I mean, I get his character. He's flawed. I was mostly lol'ing at the fact that they had them land a mere 150,000 years ago, and our race only learned language *then*. They wanted Lucy to be tied to the Cylons, cool, whatever, but makes no sense. I'd rather have seen at least a few million years or something.
Raeus and Ashra

Post by Raeus and Ashra »

Great ending~ which is rare to see in most television shows these days, they either are canceled or go on forever until they suck... this is a pleasant change.

Somethings I disagree with, somethings I love, but for an overall experience this show was amazing throughout. Just waiting for an epic fantasy show to come out now that doesn't follow the Hercules/Xena trend. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series got raped on television which was a disappointment, but I am really hoping that the Wheel of Time is going to be done properly.
Raeus~
kAshra <3
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

Raeus and Ashra wrote:Great ending~ which is rare to see in most television shows these days, they either are canceled or go on forever until they suck... this is a pleasant change.

Somethings I disagree with, somethings I love, but for an overall experience this show was amazing throughout. Just waiting for an epic fantasy show to come out now that doesn't follow the Hercules/Xena trend. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series got raped on television which was a disappointment, but I am really hoping that the Wheel of Time is going to be done properly.
I have all the episodes of Seeker of Truth downloaded. I really, really loved the books. Should I just not watch the show for fear of ruining them in my mind? :(
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

Aus wrote: I have all the episodes of Seeker of Truth downloaded. I really, really loved the books. Should I just not watch the show for fear of ruining them in my mind? :(
They cheese it out pretty badly but its still watchable. I dig the girl that plays Kahlan, even though Bee says she's thick, but I guess that probably doesn't really come as news.
Azurai

Post by Azurai »

A section of the excellent musical score from the show, this is the Colonial Anthem remake that plays for the final flyby of Galactica.

--Azurai

greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

Yeah, I downloaded the 3 season OSTs and I'm pretty impressed, though I have to admit, I didn't really notice the music until midway through season 3, culminating in that Cylon theme. The rendition in season 4 with Starbuck playing it on the piano and then the full orchestra kicks in is also really nice.