American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Lazloth

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Post by Lazloth »

Despite his popularity I never really looked into his books previously, but I was at the book store fucking around and I had like 20 bucks free, so i figured why not. The characters and main idea of the story are pretty cool, and I really liked the idea of having gods that have been relegated to obscurity by our society. Unfortunately, I didn't really find the plot all that compelling, despite the fact I generally like the sort of trickster tales this ended up being. I also just saw that apparently HBO bought the tv rights for the book and have a 6 season plan already in place, which is both impressive and excessive. Has any else read this? Thoughts?
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Lucelia

Re: American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Post by Lucelia »

I just read this.. 5 years after Laz but I felt the same way, the book didn't live up to the hype for me. I've also read Neverwhere and I think Gaiman creates interesting worlds but the stories seem to fall flat.

Sadly HBO passed on American Gods and it's now with Starz. Ian McShane will be playing Wednesday and the trailer looked pretty good so I'll probably check it out.
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Re: American Gods - Neil Gaiman

Post by greekrefugee »

Hm, that sucks. American Gods and Neverwhere have been on my to-read list forever. I loved Sandman, but never read any of his books. I watched the first season of AG and it seemed interesting. Not sure how much of the appeal was watching Ian McShane ham it up :P