Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return

Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return

Post by Aus »

Set to come out in like 2 weeks, I'm pretty stoked. They put a new song out on a VictoryRecords comp and it's awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53xViWdjhIY
Elvy

Re: Darkest Hour - The Eternal Return

Post by Elvy »

i dont understand how you enjoy this
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

This song isn't a great example of their musicianship, but I particularly enjoy Darkest Hour both for their lyrics and their incorporation of melodic music into an otherwise 'harsh' sound. The best example that comes to mind is Veritas, Aequitas on Hidden Hands of the Sadist Nation. It's a 13 minute instrumental that moves through standard metal/thrash sounds and into very slow, soft and almost soothing guitar riffs, and then back again. Their earlier music tended to incorporate a lot more of that style, culminating in Deliver Us (their most recent album) being a lot less 'heavy' than much of their previous work, but with one of the members leaving before this newest album was recorded, it remains to be seen whether or not they maintain the juxtaposition of pianos and electric guitars, or if they just go full-on metal this time around.

HOW ABOUT THAT
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

you say for their lyrics but i cant makeout but a handful of words thrown together. i respect that its music and some people like it, im just trying to better understand your world!

I dont mind heavy music, and i love acoustical even moreso, but when i cant understand any lyrics i am confused.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

I've found that, over the years, I've become better able to discern lyrics in songs like that. Both hardcore and metal often have lyrics that you have to actively listen for / read on a website, but since I pick most of the music I like based on lyrical content I've developed an ear for picking up on it. For example, I only listened to that song a single time, and there aren't lyrics posted anywhere for it yet, so I can't transcribe it perfectly, but based on what I gleaned from one play through, the song is about shedding the bonds of oppressive religion (hence the name~). If I listened to it 25 more times I might know 95% of the words, but I obviously don't expect people who aren't fans to do that.

With that said, I've always appreciated Darkest Hour mostly for their music. Their lyrics are interesting and often very well written, but what draws me in to this band is the sound.
Ferox

Post by Ferox »

was watching videos on youtube, and stumbled upon this and it made me think of your post elvy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgFQhsK9MC0

FYI, If Hope Dies rapes - in the good way
I feel like you raped my soul
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

The song from the victory comp as well as another new one are available on their myspace.

And yeah, what Aus said. After years of listening to this kind of music, understanding the lyrics just seems normal, lol.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

FOR RENSY AND SIXTHY AND WHOEVER

https://dl-web.getdropbox.com/get/Darke ... w=065457aa

Full Album.
Sixthy
Greatest Shaman in the World

Post by Sixthy »

Here's my guess:

There's no salvation in a world where you worship proven fiction
And no redemption for a life of servitude
You bow and you heed, on hallowed command
Your only care is the money you gain
It's the same place, a hallow escape
A palace of concrete and glass
Keep waiting
Keep waiting for no god to erase you
no god, to make you fall to your knees

There's blood on these pages and the war inside your head
Is with yourself, Through the ages
And through every form of hell
It's the same place, a hallow escape
A palace of concrete and glass
Keep waiting, Keep waiting
For no god to consume you
No god to be your burden
No god to use you
No god (a solid illusion?)

Anyways, cool album so far - Like I said before this isn't a band that I'm going to totally dive into (like btbam) but I really like that Deliver Us album and this one sounds pretty cool so far!
Big dicks in your ass is bad for your health
Adare

Post by Adare »

I listened.

I heard none of those words. It was more of a....RAWHASJDHJHDAKJFHSDFJB.

I think I'm doing it wrong. :(
So the guy behind me in court for my DUI hearing got a DUI on a lawnmower at 1AM...he is my new hero.
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

I had the album on repeat in the background as I do work, and I've liked it so far. If I end up stopping what I'm doing to replay a sick part of a song, it's usually a good sign, lol. So I haven't had a focused listen, or paid much attention to lyrics, but it's been pretty good so far.

I agree with Sixty about the band overall. I like their stuff, but it's not btbam, etc. It's not breaking musical boundaries, but it's still good. Although lyrical content/message can sometimes eleveate a band above the level of the music alone.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Post by Aus »

I listened to it a couple times through in the car and I liked it, though I agree they aren't doing anything that anyone hasn't done before. I do notice that it has a lot less in the way musical interludes as compared to Deliver Us or even Hidden Hands (which is still my favorite Darkest Hour album) but they do what they do pretty well imo. For example, at 2:30 in The Tides there's a pretty sweet solo with some awesome drumming that made me go "holy fuck thats pretty cool," but I am going to miss the melodic portions of the songs a lot.

Over all I'm excited for it, and for the fact that even when a core member left the band didn't turn to shit (immediately).

I'm gonna pull that download in a couple days so if you want it, grab it.