Fringe

Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Fringe

Post by Aus »

Dunno how many people watch this show.Overall I do enjoy the show and will definitely pick it up again next season, but I can't really get past the silliness of the finale completely.

edit: moved the spoilers a 2nd post so I don't fuck someone by mistake.
Aus
Homosexual Juggernaut

Re: Fringe

Post by Aus »

------SPOILERS--------

One of my favorite things about the show is the seemingly scientific and logical explanation of paranormal events because they all had some semblance of semi-reasonable explanation. However, the premise of the previous 2 episodes, firstly that deva vu was a glimpse into an alternate reality and secondly that Olivia and her Cortexifan buddies could somehow see into this alternate reality was pretty loller. All of the other episodes have at least had SOME anchor in reality, but this felt like it was too ridiculous, even for what this show is. Specifically the way it was first addressed (Walter being like oh you didn't know? Theres 2 realities lol) just made it too far out there. Additionally, in the finale, the seeming compulsion to escape this reality and get to the other one for seemingly no reason at all just felt a little forced.

------SPOILERS--------
Reedu
Deadlock

Post by Reedu »

Aus wrote:One of my favorite things about the show is the seemingly scientific and logical explanation of paranormal events because they all had some semblance of semi-reasonable explanation.
I tried to watch this show, but their fake science irritated me too much. =[
Priz

Post by Priz »

Yeah, I love this show but I haven't managed to finish it yet. It's like a combination of Heroes and some other crazy shit so you have to look passed it being real and just have fun with it.
Lazloth

Post by Lazloth »

I've liked this and watched it, but I have to second the notion of the absurdity of the "explanations". Moreover there have been quite a few things that were just totally retarded sticking points for me, for instance dudebro with the suntan lotion before he teleports? Just ignoring the actual realities of the teleporting business for a moment and assuming it possible.......suntan lotion? Really? Because I don't get it. You need uv light protection from your molecules being scrambled and reorganized? From the non-uv radiation such an endeavor might produce? Hmmmm.

At any rate, for a while I thought it might transform into something pretty cool after they did the thing with the Olivia and the lights, but that aspect has hardly manifested further.

On a separate note, I don't know why they chose that girl to be Olivia's sister. Those snaggleteeth bother me so much. Maybe I'm just a freak for expecting nice teeth on an actress, but I'll be damned if I don't cringe every time she speaks. I've seen her in other things too, and I just don't understand how she gets work looking like that.

SPOILERS BELOW

As for the finale, I'm with you on that Dave. I felt almost as if they just decided to say fuck it to the choices in plot buildup they made and just jump into the future, so to speak. Not to mention the "Oh by the way I went into another reality twenty years ago and stole my double's son to replace my dead one lolsupkk its cool right, like my coin?" thing was......beyond retarded.
(2:15:52 PM) Lazloth: i want
(2:16:04 PM) Lazloth: ...
(2:16:05 PM) Lazloth: something
(2:17:16 PM) Rael: Me too
(2:17:41 PM) Rael: But where do I find a car battery and a duck at this time of day
Raeus and Ashra

Post by Raeus and Ashra »

Spoiler
I liked the introduction of the manifesto and alternate reality. A war where soldiers are chosen involuntarily was pretty interesting as well. I also enjoyed how Olivia had that syrum/shot when she was young that made it so every interaction wasn't one that "limited" her perception/mental abilities.

I'm a big fan of alternate realities, so I am very interested to see how this "war" goes in the next season. I love every time Olivia goes into the tank, they neglect to show her taking LSD (except for the first time). I hope that they aren't indoctrinating us to think that those on the "other side" are beings we need to wage war with.

Random thought:
I always hear of people speak of a "First Encounter/First Contact" in regards to an alien species. I read in a Terence McKenna book something interesting saying that we had already made First Contact thousands of years ago. Channelers, Dream/Astral Travelers, "Schizophrenics", Near Death Experiencers, Shamans and other mystics have been negotiating with the other side for millenia. It is ignorant of us to believe that First Contact will be something televised around the world as a being from another "world" steps off their ship and shakes hands with a human. We have been making contact for thousands of years with "aliens" and people would do well to acknowledge this.
Raeus~
kAshra <3