cardio training

What? You say there's life outside of WoW?
Talisen

Re: cardio training

Post by Talisen »

My iPod is too heavy and it bounces around a lot!

Ryo, log on and disenchant my shit!
Ryowen

Post by Ryowen »

I sent it all to Tirby 8)
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »

Ryo, I want you in my life again.
Tache
Yourself

Post by Tache »

Ryo, im me please.
Ryowen

Post by Ryowen »

Tache wrote:Ryo, im me please.

I don't have AIM installed, but I use myspace now!
Doses

Post by Doses »

300... not the movie... but the workout plan... look it up!
Metzer
VM Warlock

Post by Metzer »

Doses wrote:300... not the movie... but the workout plan... look it up!
I did look it up and decided I'm in pretty good shape, but no where near shape to even think about completing that workout. I've been to hell and back with some training and one thing you want to watch is how much you do in one sitting. It took me about 6 months to comfortably run 10 miles(planning around race days, speed workout days, etc).

Point is, if you start burning your body out, even just one time, you can cause some serious and annoying internal body damage. My roommate developed a hernia from doing "burnout" reps. Burnout as in lift until you can't. Bad idea. And the 300 workout is basically that for 95% of "athletic people". You need to alter your lifestyle to do the full blown 300 workout.

And I'm all for altering one's lifestyle to accommodate goals. Just do it slowly and consistently.
Sometimes, you just have to be fucking awesome.
Chaoren

Post by Chaoren »

<---- Loves to run. When I was still stationed in California I was running like 8 miles every week day and about 12-25 on Saturday. I play too much wow now and it has cut into my run time, but I still run several times a week.

I always ran with MP3 player full of carefully selected play lists that I complied to keep myself on a good pace and help time my run. Like, I would have a 1:30 min play list and force myself to get to a certain point by the end of the play list, while noting landmarks along the way to mark my progress.

I would get really bad pain in my knees after running too long, turns out i had a pretty bad case of bursitis and tendinitis (spelling) in my knees. I stopped wearing cheap ass running shoes and started taking glucosamine (spelling?) supplements and I was good to go.

I found that if you can run on a beach or off road somewhere or mostly uphill, its easier to keep form getting shin splints. This worked for me anyway.
Ayaz

Post by Ayaz »

I actually have a couple questions for the more experienced runners out there. I was in the Army for 4 years and hated running the whole time. In fact, i can't think of a time that I did not hate running with a passion. I've always been pretty lousy at it and I can never seem to breathe while I run. Seems like I'm about to die every time I do it. Anyway, I've decided to take my health a little more seriously and have started running (god it sucks) locally. My first question is how far should I run as a beginner? Secondly, should I aim for a certain distance or a certain time? Finally, How often should I run? Would every day be a poor idea? Any input would be appreciated. Really looking forward to dumping 10 or 15 pounds that I put on after I was discharged.
70 Hunter, 70 Rogue, 70 Warlock, 70 Shaman, 70 paladin, 66 Priest X2, 62 Druid, 58 Mage.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. - Jimi Hendrix
Sixthy
Greatest Shaman in the World

Post by Sixthy »

When you start out, run for time, not distance. Make it a personal goal, and work your way up. Don't aim too high, either. If you think you can only make it 15 minutes, so be it.

Run 15 minutes and don't worry too much about the distance. I wouldn't do it everyday, because your body needs time to recover. If you've put on weight since the last time you ran it'll be hard on your knees and back, and obviously you'll have to deal with being sore, breaking in your feet again, blisters if your shoes aren't up to snuff, etc.

So, start around 15 or 20 minutes and just make it your goal to run the entire time. Do it for a couple of weeks until you're really not getting too beat down from that time, then push it further. Maybe 30 minutes.

Eventually you'll get to a point where you can keep running the same time, but increase the distance you run each time as your speed and endurance goes up. And dropping weight helps immensely.

One thing that always helped me is I'd pick a certain set of songs that I could really get into that helped keep a pace. Songs with steady beats especially. I listened to the same CD while I ran for about a year. Track 9 was about 32 minutes into the CD. I always ran to the end of track 9, then walked until the CD finished (about 10 more minutes) just to cooldown, stretch, etc.

At first I was only covering about 3.5 - 4 miles in the 32 minutes. I eventually got up to about 5.5 miles in the same time; 6 if I pushed it. Sometimes I'd jog a song, then really push it out for a song, jog a song, etc. Sometimes I'd run hard for a song, then stop and do pushups, situps, leglifts, and all that sort of shit for a song and just make a course out of it.

Just get into a routine. That's the best bet.

I used to be in great shape. I'm a fat piece of shit now.
Big dicks in your ass is bad for your health
Sixthy
Greatest Shaman in the World

Post by Sixthy »

I just looked up the 300 workout. At the peak shape of my life when I was active duty Marines, running everyday, lifting as much as possible and eating as healthy as one could ever eat, I don't think I could have completed that workout with a great score, haha. Holy shit.
Big dicks in your ass is bad for your health
Ayaz

Post by Ayaz »

I actually did 30 minutes today and it was pretty hellish to be honest. I completely see what you mean about the legs and back being an issue since I've gained a bit of weight. My lower back and my calves were killing me. But I made it, and I plan to go out again tomorrow and try for another solid 30 minutes. I can't wait until it gets easier =(
Appreciate the info by the way :lol:
70 Hunter, 70 Rogue, 70 Warlock, 70 Shaman, 70 paladin, 66 Priest X2, 62 Druid, 58 Mage.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. - Jimi Hendrix
Elvy

Post by Elvy »

Talisen wrote:My iPod is too heavy and it bounces around a lot!
i have the same problem with my penis
Curador

Post by Curador »

Elvy wrote:
Talisen wrote:My iPod is too heavy and it bounces around a lot!
i have the same problem with my penis
Jock strap, the invention of the century!

And for my cardio workout, I usually do a 45 min. to 1 hr. jog. Followed by a couple walking laps around my block (as warm down). I then hop in the pool and swim solid laps for another 30 min. to 1 hr. depending on how I'm feeling. I also take part in a MMA class 3 times a week. These classes are PERFECT for cardio.
All in all it comes down to personal preference. (What you want your body to look like, the current shape your in, what you want to be doing in the future etc.)
greekrefugee
ASSHOLE

Post by greekrefugee »